ATTACHMENT AND BONDING
Attachment and Internationally Adopted Children
- Orphanage life conspires to produce disordered attachment.
- There is a spectrum of disordered attachment.
- Many internationally adopted children have some disordered attachment behaviors.
- Most international adoptees develop good attachment to their families.
- A small minority have severe reactive attachment disorder.
- Treatment of reactive attachment disorder is complex and arduous.
From THE HANDBOOK OF INTERNATIONAL ADOPTION MEDICINE by Laurie C. Miller. © 2004 by Oxford University Press, Inc. Used by Permission.